Monday, October 13, 2008

scrap

i decided to go on a walk around leicester to find any sorce of reference and choose my scene depending on what reference were available. i found some interesting scrap yards, even though i wasn't able to get into all of them i finally got some photos of some interesting peices. the amount of textures and varied shapes made the scrap yard option the most appealing. I went from scrap yard to scrap yard to find as many different textures as i could as most of my models i have created in the past didn;t have much variation as i would like. so im trying to improve on that with year 3 models.


mostly these photos will help me with layout so my scene will not look face and organised as a scrap yard is usually quite messy except for stacks of vehicles.
the way i do rust on vehicles has completely changed since ive seen these scrap yards, the places rust populates on metal and the damage it does is quite interesting and the way weather causes damage to man made objects will be a focus in my scrap scene. After watching a documentory on wildlife while modeling my vehicle i saw a section on how abandoned cars reacted on its surroundings, for exaple the way elements from rusted metal polute and change the colour of water. it causes masive changes to the ecosystem of the area. this will not massivly change my scene unless there is large amounts of wildlife in my scene but it would be fun to incorparate it.
from these two pictures you can see the way the rain has fallen on the metal creating drip marks of rust, the cracks of paint create more detal texture and from all my work in the unreal engine i have found a nice way of creating detailed textures by tiling a normal map in a certain type of unreal material, which is greate for things like stone or rust and with a mask i can localise it to certain areas.

No comments: